7 Use cases of AI in Environmental Science & Energy
Science and technology are improving at a rapid pace. Artificial intelligence is the most critical field of technology right now. The application of AI in different fields has helped to achieve things that seemed impossible even a few years back.
Indeed, artificial intelligence has become a consistent part of human life. Beginning from smart homes to self-driving vehicles, the potential of anticipation through technology is reaching new heights every day.
But the most palpable aspect of artificial intelligence is the way it is working in the field of environmental science. The world is approaching a darker future owing to global warming and rising pollution levels. AI technology is the only ray of hope to protect the environment and contribute to more efficient resource management.
It’s time to explore the different ways in which you can use AI in matters of environmental science and energy.
1. Renewable Energy Resource Management
Artificial intelligence is capable of applying powerful predictive analytics. The predictions combine with intelligent grid systems to establish efficient management of the supply and demand of renewable energy resources.
● For instance, accurate weather forecasts will optimize efficiency, reduce costs, and prevent excessive carbon pollution.
● Significant improvement in energy storage, load management, and energy efficiency.
● AI assists in the reliability and integration of renewable energy resources.
As a result, there will be a notable impact on dynamic trading and pricing that will result in market incentives.
2. Electric Vehicle Manufacturing
Gas prices are increasing at an alarming rate. So more companies are paying attention to the design and make of Electric Vehicles. The year 2021 marked the highest gas pricing since 2014 — the rise in crude oil prices and the higher gasoline demand.
And now, artificial intelligence has made it possible to control fuel consumption and air pollution with the help of electric vehicles. The application of AI for manufacturing electric vehicles has many beneficial impacts on the environment and energy, including
● Reduction in air pollution
● Low traffic congestion
● More autonomous driving potential
● Reduced emissions.
The environmental impact of EVs is the prime reason for their popularity. One of the primary sources of climate change is greenhouse gas emissions. And these gases have negative health impacts.
Respiratory tract infections and disease have increased owing to pollution. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) proved that EVs impart less emission of GHG throughout their lifespan, including both upstream and tailpipe emissions.
AI is responsible for designing wonder EVs that can offer zero tailpipe emissions.
3. Conservation of natural resources
Do you know that 62 billion tons of natural resources undergo extraction from the Earth’s surface every year? The Organization for Economic Co-operation & Development (OECD) research data proved the statistics.
To add to the above alarming fact, research also showed that 20% of these resources undergo complete wastage. The sources include wood, metals, minerals, and more. There is a big issue with resourcefulness.
With more and more urbanization, the use of resources is getting extreme these days. The rapid development of the cities has added to the environmental stress.
● Intelligent lighting systems are one of the many applications of AI, which has reduced the power consumption level to a great extent.
● Energy efficiency has also increased with LED lights on the streets.
● Such intelligent systems can now detect the environmental condition to turn the lights dim or brighter.
● “Electricity with the brain” is the alternative to the electrical grid system that delivers energy with security, reliability, and efficiency.
Without artificial intelligence, it wouldn’t have been possible to optimize non-renewable energy resources and focus on renewable sources.
4. Sustainable use of land
Science and technology together can bring about significant changes. The perfect example is the combination of a satellite imagery system with artificial intelligence to sense changes in vegetation, land use
the fallout of natural disasters, and forest covers.
● Early detection of crop diseases is possible due to AI-augmented agriculture using robotics.
● Automatic data collection aids in better agriculture management
● Automated corrective measures control many problems at the beginning.
● You get help with streamlining the agricultural inputs and returns. The data depends on supply and demand information.
● Better resource efficiency
● Take timely precautions for extreme climatic changes.
All these have cumulatively contributed to the development of agriculture and land use.
5. Pollution control
The rise in the global pollution level must be an alarm call to the entire population to start controlling pollution. Air pollution is a problem that affects every human being. Artificial intelligence has played a significant role in monitoring and controlling pollution levels from different aspects.
● You can nowadays get air purifiers. These have integrated AI systems that record real-time air quality and environmental data.
● The filtration capacity of the devices depends on the real-time data that the AI systems collect.
● AI-powered simulation models are helping to warn people ahead of inferior air quality.
● Air pollution control can improve with data that the data sensors and cameras collect.
So, pollution monitoring is a critical use of Artificial intelligence.
6. Application in wind energy harvesting
Many wind companies are now implementing AI techniques for controlling the propeller of every turbine. It will help produce more electricity in each rotation by incorporating real-time operational and weather data.
● AI helps each propeller to determine the wind speed as well as the wind direction.
● The system will help to automatically adjust the efficiency even if the propeller is behind a few rows of propellers.
Researchers working at the various energy departments are using artificial intelligence techniques to project the energy output of wind farms accurately.
7. Energy Smart Metering
Smart meters are use cases of AI and machine learning. These have great potential in the energy and utility sector.
IoT devices in cities can provide a broad range of real-time data, including energy use. Government or power distribution companies can use real-time data on energy consumption to increase grid efficiency.
Automatically adjusting power inputs can result in significant cost savings, more reliable supplies, and fewer outages.
These AI-powered smart metering systems can help in:
● Accurate prediction and forecasts
● Cognitive power distribution
● Increasing knowledge and skills of the workforce
● Developing adaptive workplaces to improve employee wellness
A final word
Thus, artificial intelligence plays a crucial role in environmental conservation and scientific resource management. There are many ways to use artificial intelligence’s positive impacts.
Every day, AI becomes a more prominent aspect of future cities. It has already been shown to be one of the most effective tools that computer technology has provided and is assisting us in developing a smarter and more effective society.
With it, we can finally begin addressing the more significant problems that affect humanity.
How is CellStrat Hub supporting AI development for Energy and Environment Science?
Despite knowing the benefits of AI in the sector, developers and researchers need more resources to find or develop the required AI tools.
CellStrat Hub is a Simple and unified AI Platform that enables students, researchers, and developers to Learn, Develop, and Deploy AI in the energy & environment field.
Its AI module marketplace provides Ready-to-Integrate inference APIs.