Use of AI in the Education Sector
COVID has pushed the usage of technology deeper into the education system. The sight of a primary-grade student, using smart gadgets backed by internet technology is now very common around the globe. While there remains an active debate among educators, psychologists, and parents on screen time for children and whether it should be within limits, there is another technology rapidly penetrating the education sector to change the face of it — AI or Artificial Intelligence technology.
Between 2017 and 2021, AI growth in the education system has seen growth by around 47.5%. Even though most educators believe that teachers’ presence cannot be taken away by this technology, they also agree that it will change their key roles in education.
The use of AI is not just transforming how teachers are doing their jobs but also revolutionizing the ways students are subject to learning new things in life. This growth can now be seen worldwide and not restricted to only first-world countries. As per some of the surveys, global AI use in the educational field has an annual growth of around 45% and will easily reach around $5.8B by 2025.
There are several educational platforms based on AI technology that has proven the promising future of AI in the education field like
· Third Space Learning,
· Little Dragon,
· Thinker Math,
· Carnegie learning etc.
Many tech-driven solutions in the industry of education like Dream Box, Khan Academy, Achieve3000, etc. are shaping the future with AI.
Let’s learn how potent Artificial Intelligence is to reshape the world of education towards betterment.
Identifying classroom weakness:
The main fear of adding more technology into any industry is that it might replace the workers and people start losing jobs. This is not quite true. In the education field, Artificial Intelligence is not quite meant to replace teachers but is here to complement them even more.
- AI can help us understand the mood or ease of students during any lectures either delivered online or offline, by using Gesture Recognition Technology. Today’s AI-powered smart devices can read the facial expressions or gestures of the student and uses them to know if the student is struggling to understand the key points of the lessons. After recognition, it can inform the instructor to alter the delivery or re-teach the material so that the student can follow up easily.
For instance, the AI-based educational platform “The Third Space Learning” was created with the help of scholars from London University College. It helps to recommend ways to make the teaching techniques better, like giving a warning when the explanation of the teacher is either slow or very fast.
Another tech platform “The Little Dragon” creates smart applications that analyze the user’s facial expressions or gestures and adapt the user interface accordingly.
- AI can complement the work of a teacher in a classroom by monitoring all students at once. By knowing the strong and weak zones of a student, a teacher can precisely focus on the things required.
- It will make teachers more accountable for their work by continuous monitoring and adhering to some of the best teaching principles to follow.
Giving teachers a lesson:
If there is one thing important in education then it should be that teachers must never rely on their residual old knowledge. More facts keep on getting added and teachers need to study those new additions before teaching the students!
- When teachers teach within a limited scope, many things remain out of understanding. Thanks to AI, now teachers have that comprehensive information, available at their fingertips and in real-time. Smart devices, powered with AI can automatically suggest the content to be taught.
Creating smart content for the students:
AI can help out teachers in their mission to create interactive content, which will make learning & teaching more comfortable and easy.
For an instance, an online service called “Cram101” by CTI uses artificial intelligence to study textbooks and pinpoint the highlights of the material. It also generates practice tests and flashcards as student exercises.
- Learning some new content updates — Teachers get to generate learning content and even update them regularly with AI. It helps to keep the information updated all the time.
- Information visualization — Visualization, simulation, and web-centric study needs are some of the different means to procure information. Only AI can power these sources. Modern technologies like AR/VR are helping create more interactive sessions with inclusion of AI.
- Digital lessons — AI is here to help generate some of the study guides, bite-sized learning, digital textbooks, and more, within the same framework related to digital learning.
- There is a ground-breaking application of AI that has already been adopted by educational bodies — AI Voice Assistants. This includes Google Assistant, Cortana from Microsoft, Apple’s Siri and Alexa from Amazon. These voice assistants help students to converse directly with the educational material available digitally, that too without any involvement of their teacher.
Focusing on Universal Access:
Thanks to AI tools, now educational classrooms are available to students from various corners of the world. Even if there are students with visual or hearing impairments, or if they speak different languages, AI tools have solutions for all of them.
- Thanks to AI Voice Recognition and Speech to-Text tools that allow the student to have real-time subtitles for everything that the teacher is going to say throughout the session.
- Students now have access to study material of any language. Scripts-based AI tools are advancing in translating anything in any format into the required language scripts.
- It helps in channeling some new possibilities for all the students, who are willing to learn at multiple levels and would love to learn subjects unavailable in school.
- Even if they are sick and absent from school, it won’t stop them from gaining knowledge at their own pace and time later on.
- AI has worked hard to break the silos between schools and traditional grade levels.
Dealing with personalized learning:
AI is here to create educational tools and SAAS, which can be personalized to match an individual’s needs. The Intelligent Tutoring System is used to stimulate one-to-one personal tutoring. Depending on the neural networks, and algorithms they can decide on an individual student.
The Intelligent Tutoring System is used to stimulate one-to-one personal tutoring. Depending on the neural networks, and algorithms they can decide on an individual student.
AI can create groups of students who are suited for particular tasks. Students’ assignments and tests can be fed into AI systems and then systems can predict future performance, interests or subject inclinations of individuals. On these actionable insights, institutions can develop personalized, adaptive and insightful teaching plans.
- It helps in highlighting some of the specified topics that students are mostly weak in and repeating the subjects that they failed to master, like others in the class.
Dealing with task automation:
AI is an old player in multiple industries to automate tasks. Well, it will follow the same pattern to cover the educational sector. Teachers along with professors are now able to manage the classroom environment with various administrative and organizational tasks.
· When AI tools are there to process continuously fed progress data of a student, teachers will spend some quality time grading the test marks, filing the necessary paperwork, evaluating homework, and making progress report.
- Tutors also organize materials and resources for lecturers and manage teaching materials as well. To help them cover so many works, AI is a friendly gesture.
- Prominent institutions struggle and put a lot of resources into selecting the right student to join them. AI can help process the data of millions, develop personalized tests and find the right candidate automatically. Admissions and enrollment processes can also be done with AI in the future and its full potential is yet to be out.
Arizona State University has offered Amazon’s Alexa to inquirers for their campus-related information. There is a plethora of opportunities with AI.
The final say:
AI will help teachers up their game and improve classroom or digital learning, enhance the capability of both teachers and students and empower institutions to deliver more and better.
If you are associated with the growing trend of AI associated with multiple industries, then it is just a matter of time before you will learn about AI in the education sector. Our team from CellStrat is here to offer the best platform for learning, developing, and deploying Artificial Intelligence. Check out some AI apps that can be used in education sector like text to speech or speech to text and more at CellStrat marketplace.